Warranty Issues

Snowmobiles are really expensive when they break!
Use the best oil that matches your riding choice and go play.

Warranty Issues

Postby dave300 » 2005 Sun Mar 27, 9:50 am

My 2005 Ski Doo GSX600 has the newer semi direct injection system. According to the owner's manual, using any oil other than Ski Doo's will void the warranty. The claim is that there is not a comparable oil available to meet the high demands of this engine. I really want to switch to Amsoil, but I'm in a dilemma should a warranty issue arise. I have a 2-year warranty on the engine. Any insight on this problem?

Thanks!
dave300

Warranty issues, 2005 Ski Doo GSX600

Postby ogrady » 2005 Wed Apr 06, 11:22 am

Below is the reply from Amsoil technical services Jim Van. Do have a re-read of your owner’s manual. This sort of thing where manufacturers attempt to instill fear into their very own customers I've seen before! And it’s not going away either.

Example: We were exhibiting at a regional snowmobile show last November 2004 when a fellow said basically the manufacturer of his new snowmobile, as in just over there in the other building, is saying I have to use their oil or my warranty is void!

My answer at the time was verbatim to what is below and then some.
I told the guy to go over and tell the manufacturer to quit lying, we in North America have specifications that oils have to meet, use an oil that meets the spec's as set out by the snowmobile manufacturer and your warranty is covered. That's the law, end of story.

The manufacturer’s rep conceded.

You see, this is like telling you that you HAVE to buy your gasoline at so and so's gas station or buy so and so's tires or else yada, yada.

Further to this, snowmobile manufacturers DO NOT make their oil. It's made for them by oil companies. The companies making their oil further DO NOT give anybody's house branded product their very best offering, this is reserved for their OWN label. When you think of it, this makes sense.

I hope this answers your question clearly!

Sean A
www.oil-tech.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your concerns.

In response to your inquiry, we think if you take a second look at the statement, you will see that it doesn't actually say that your warranty WILL be voided. This is against the law. It probably says may or could. They would certainly like you to think that this will be the case though, because it creates oil sales for them ($). The Ski-doo oils are good products, but they are nothing remarkable or unique. We suggest our AMSOIL Interceptor Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil (AIT). It has no affect on your warranty whatsoever.

Thank you again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Jim Van
AMSOIL Technical Services

Every attempt has been made to ensure that the information provided in this e-mail correspondence is accurate and reliable. However, AMSOIL Inc. makes no warranty, guaranty or promise (express or implied) concerning the accuracy of our e-mail response as it is based solely on the information provided to us by the e-mail originator.
Are you still on the 3,000 mile oil change treadmill? Put some convenience in your life!
http://www.oil-tech.com/amsoil-motor-oil-gasoline.php
ogrady
Site Admin

Bombardier ( BRP ) changes warranty wording

Postby ogrady » 2009 Thu Dec 03, 10:28 am

BRP has been telling dealers and customers for years something along the lines of, "you have to use our oil or your warranty is void". This verbal decree we now see being approached in BRP's written warranty language.

Multiple recent operator’s guides for Ski-Doo snowmobiles and Can-Am ATVs advise customers that it is necessary to use BRP-branded lubricants or risk the loss of warranty coverage, while some guides also state there is “no known equivalent” to the branded BRP lubricant on the market.

What's the word I'm searching for? "Poppycock" will suffice. The above is marketing gone too far and violates the Moss-Magnuson act in the USA and the Combines Legislation act in Canada, I don't know how many other countries restriction of trade laws the above violates. I do know the only way a manufacturer can specify the use of it's own accessory products such as oil is to provide them for free to the consumer when the customer asks.

Amsoil has recently been in communication with BRP regarding this violation and the following is Amsoil's general statement. A Technical Service Bulletin
http://www.oil-tech.com/TSB_SE-2009-11- ... rranty.pdf gives the specifics of this issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
12-01-2009
Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP) Changes Its Operator’s Guides in Regards to Warranty Coverage

Multiple recent operator’s guides for Ski-Doo snowmobiles and Can-Am ATVs, manufactured by Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. (BRP), advise customers that it is necessary to use BRP-branded lubricants or risk the loss of warranty coverage, while some guides also state there is “no known equivalent” to the branded BRP lubricant on the market.

AMSOIL confronted BRP and asserted that its warranty language violated the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a federal law which prohibits manufacturers from requiring the use of a branded service/replacement part unless the branded service/replacement part is provided free of charge or is not intended for use in consumer applications, and emphasized that AMSOIL synthetic lubricants meet or exceed the engine performance requirements for both two- and four-cycle engines used in powersports equipment.

BRP has agreed to modify the language in its operator’s guides to no longer indicate that use of oil other than the BRP-branded product may void the warranty, to clearly identify product recommendations as recommendations rather than requirements and to no longer comment on the availability of equivalents to the BRP brand oil(s).
Are you still on the 3,000 mile oil change treadmill? Put some convenience in your life!
http://www.oil-tech.com/amsoil-motor-oil-gasoline.php
ogrady
Site Admin

Return to Snowmobile Questions