Message 6

Hydrotreated petroleum oil can now be legally called synthetic. Here are the emails sent to our subscribers explaining all about it. Start at MESSAGE ONE, then TWO etc..

Message 6

Postby ogrady » 2005 Wed Nov 02, 12:09 pm

Hi,
Have you finished reading the 'Motor Oil Bible' yet? If you are like me, I couldn't stop reading until I finished the whole thing!

So, back to where we were, buying higher quality to SAVE money.

Strange idea or is this idea one you are all too familiar with?
I have a fine example to illustrate my point.

VCR's and now DVD players can be had for almost the cost of a tank of gas.

How long will they last? One year, maybe two?

I was disgusted when I took apart a 2 year old VCR I was asked to 'have a look' at.

Plastic, everywhere! Little rubber bands operating all sorts of things. They are truly throw aways.

In contrast, in 1990 I bought a used VCR. Paid $200 for it in 1990, (sounds expensive doesn't it) especially when it was already 5 years old at the time. Here's what's different.

It's made of metal. The tape transport and all that matters is properly supported by die cast and machined aluminum.
It has survived a 5 foot fall onto the floor as well as several 3 inch static discharges from the hands of someone who now knows better than to run dragging their feet across carpet in the dead of winter to shut off the VCR before they get the phone! OUCH!

Still this unit has n-e-v-e-r eaten a tape. Me, buy a $50 VCR or DVD player? No possible way.

Motor oil, same thing really. I got what I paid for with my used VCR. It has save me time and money and has given me piece of mind.

It has never let me down, ever.

Back to the question, "So what"? Why would I buy an expensive non API Starburst approved motor oil over a commodity grade API Starburst approved motor oil?

This is it.

- The LOWEST possible cost of operation -

How can an oil that costs 3 -4 times as much as regular oil save me money? To answer this question I'll answer from another perceptive, that being of the passenger car owner in Europe.

In Europe the standard oil change interval is vastly longer.

In Europe car manufacturers are in charge of the specifications, not the ‘old boys club’ of oil companies and the API as we have it here in North America. The result is that Europe has two oil drain intervals, one for petroleum and one for synthetic.

As normal as an oil drain interval of 3,000 miles (5,000km) is to us, European car oil drain intervals are 8,500 miles (14,000km) for petroleum and 15,000 miles (24,000km), soon to be 18,000
miles (30,000km) for synthetic.

This is fact, as in an everyday normal occurrence for millions ofcar owners in Europe.

I’ll pause a moment here and say this again so this concept can really sink in.

The normal European oil drain interval, (ACEA A3 approved synthetic oil) is 15,000 miles (24,000km).

So what’s different in Europe than here?

There is nothing really special about European cars that allow their oil to go longer.

What is special is the oil!

More next week!

Drive safe!

Sean Aughey
email: sales@oil-tech.com
Are you still on the 3,000 mile oil change treadmill? Put some convenience in your life!
http://www.oil-tech.com/amsoil-motor-oil-gasoline.php
ogrady
Site Admin

Return to Oiltech Mail outs, DO READ IN ORDER